12.04 LTS Released

Alessandro Menti alessandro.menti at hotmail.it
Mon Apr 30 14:22:31 UTC 2012

Il 30/04/2012 00:56, Valter Mura ha scritto:
> 2012/4/29 Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>

>> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseNotes/Kubuntu#Known_Issu

>> you
>> start
>>>
>>> Hi Scott, thanks for your time.
>>>
>>> I've already updated my system, I take it constantly updated.
>>>
>>> Could give me a way to update it manually? The update from command line
>>> (apt) doesn't work, that is, "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" returns nothing.
>>> I'm suspecting there's something with the repository or some string to
>>> add in "Other software".
>>> The program fetches from the "Main" server, so everything should be ok.
>>>
>>> TIA, regards,
>>
>> Try:
>>
>> $ kdesudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop -f kde
>>
>> If that doesn't get the upgrader started, then try it again with -d on the
>> end.  If it starts, you'll be at step 6 of the upgrade instructions:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades/Kubuntu
>>
>> and you can follow along from there.
>>

> Nothing of nothing. This is a very strange think and the first time it
> occurs to me...
>

> Ciao

Hello Valter (and anyone else),
I was in your same situation, as one of my systems correctly recognized
that Precise was released, while another one not. After some quick
research, I think I've found the issue.

Due to bug #944876 ([1]), which has just been fixed, if you have asked
KDE to prompt you to upgrade on regular distribution releases, it checks
only for new LTS releases instead. As the "meta-release-lts" file on the
Ubuntu site (used by the Update Manager to check for LTS upgrades, [2])
does not mention Precise yet (it will do only when the first point
release of Precise is out, see bug #989334 at [3]), the Update Manager
will act as if there was no distribution upgrade available.

Changing the /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades file manually did the
trick for me - try doing it, or install the new update-manager package
for Oneiric (it should be propagating across the mirrors right now, so
it should show up in a few hours or a day at most), then check that the
Distribution upgrade setting in the KDE System Settings application is
correct and proceed.

Ciao,
Alessandro Menti

[1]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-properties/+bug/944876
[2] http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/meta-release-lts
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/989334
--
A neutron walks into a bar and asks how much for a drink.
The bartender replies "for you, no charge".