KUbuntu and Muon Discover

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Apr 24 22:10:52 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Tres Finocchiaro
<fatbuttlarry at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here there's a video displaying what it does, in case you're just curious:
>> http://proli.net/meu/netrunner/muon-installer-qml-8.ogv
>

> Your video is very nice.  You may want to consider putting it on YouTube for
> mobile viewers as well.
>
> The interface seems to be very well thought-out. I'm a big fan of what
> Ubuntu has provided for a software manager, and Muon seems to be similar in
> a lot of ways.
>
> Room for improvement:
>
> Search relevance:
> Kalgebra is a "featured" or "advertised" product, but when you search for
> "Math", you have to scroll down quite a bit to find it.
True.
The whole featured concept is not mature yet. Something to work on, definitely.

> Consistency in browsing:
> In one screen you get a nice thumbnail view (afer clicking on "Eductation"),
> however when you search for "Math", you get a different style list without
> thumbnails.
True, and it's like this by design, we considered that lists are
better to show searches, grids are better to explore. It's a very
subjective decision, if you have good ideas regarding this, feel free
to tell me and we'll see what can be done :).

> Install experience:
> I didn't see a demo of using Muon for installing a downloaded .deb file (I
> use this a lot for VirtualBox) but in Linux Mint this breaks for VirtualBox
> upgrades.  This experience can make or break it for the REAL audience, since
> most people on this mailing list are comfortable with dpkg and apt-get.

See Jonathan Thomas answer ^^.