UDS Considerations for Kubuntu

Markus Slopianka markus.s at kdemail.net
Thu Oct 13 15:16:28 UTC 2011

On Donnerstag 13 Oktober 2011 16:31:32 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Kubuntu has prided itself on being a distro that is close to it's primary
> upstream, KDE.

Oh c'mon, while that is repeated over and over again, was never true.
OpenOffice/LibreOffice is used instead of KOffice (or Calligra in the future),
Kubuntu releases with KDE3 replaced Konqueror with d3lphin,
Kubuntu uses Amarok instead of Juk,
Patches all over the place to be compatible with Ayatana stuff.

> Personally, I had sort of assumed that since this is the second major
> release for Kmail2, it would be generally usable.

It's not the second major release. It's a rebranded Kontact 4.6 because Kontact 4.6 was
released late in the SC 4.6 life cycle and the Kontact devs wanted to match the main SC
version number again.
Fedora and openSUSE also switched to SQLite as default Akonadi back-end because despite
not being the back-end suggested by upstream, it supposedly works better.

That said, nobody prevented you or Canonical from committing patches to upstream Kontact.

> As it stands, I don't think we should have included pim 4.7 in the
> release (my fault) and you ought to consider reverting to a working
> version for the LTS.

4.8 will be the actual second major release and according to Planet KDE blog posts 4.8
comes with significant improvements.
IMO you should consider making Kontact 4.8 available as regular update for 11.10.