Upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 12:51:18 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 5:39 AM, Mark Fraser
<ubuntu at mfraz.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:
> I've just tried upgrading my laptop from Kubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 (64 bit) and
> encountered a few problems:
>
> 1) update-manager wasn't installed.

Because that's the Ubuntu app, not the Kubuntu one. For Kubuntu, it'd
be kpackagekit --updates that normally installs your updates.  Though
kpackagekit --help doesn't give an option for getting the development
version. This is probably since KPK isn't Kubuntu-specific (it's meant
to be used for RPM-based distros too), but now makes me wonder how
other Kubuntu users test the development version. I use "sudo
do-release-upgrade -d" but I suppose not everyone does...  Might also
be a moot point now that Muon is replacing it in 11.10 (but does Muon
have such an option?)

> 2) upon running update-manager -d from Kicker, I was asked for a password. I
> typed in the password I set up when I installed Kubuntu 11.04, but was told
> that it was incorrect. Which password is it asking for?

That's odd. Did you use gksudo/kdesu at the beginning of that command?

--
Mackenzie Morgan