LightDM-KDE

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu May 19 08:49:03 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 2:36 AM, Robert Ancell
<robert.ancell at canonical.com>wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Sorry for not notifying you of the session.  It was scheduled very late
> (i.e. just after the main LightDM session on Thursday) and I ended up
> being sick on Friday so it wasn't running at 100%.

Sorry to hear that, hope you get well soon.

> Regarding the D-Bus interface to the daemon - originally there was not
> going to be any client libraries - the interface would be all D-Bus to
> the daemon.  The client libraries were added to make this interface
> easier to use; then they had additional functionality added; then they
> got to the point where so little of the communication was to the daemon,
> and securing that communication through a pipe rather than using D-Bus
> for convenience became more important.
>
> There are two libraries, a GLib based one (no GTK dependency), and the
> Qt one.  Yes, they contain the same functionality, which has some
> overhead.  However, wrapping the GLib one would lead to an API that
> doesn't feel Qt (as far as I know - I'm quite new to Qt).  I'm
> completely happy to support both GLib and Qt to the same level (i.e. Qt
> is a first class citizen here), and both these libraries will be fully
> unit-tested.
>
> We do sometimes wrap glib ones for example QtGstreamer, whereas othertimes
it's all new code pulling data from Dbus (such as Telepathy-Qt). Sometimes
(such as in Qt Core) functionality is written from scratch using the
relevant native APIs. So there's no "standard'.

What I'm concerned about is when you add extra functionality (for example
Grub reboot OS selection) into one of the library it has to be written out
in both - and we have the potential to have bugs in one and not in the
other. It will be hard to sort out bug reports when we have two client
libraries potentially doing different things - especially when the bug
report doesn't indicate which library is being used.

If we are treating them as first class citizens (which so far has been the
case, thanks ever so much for updating the Qt libs) then maybe this isn't a
problem :-)

---

KDE people there is a slightly nicer Qt demo greeter here:
git://anongit.kde.org/scratch/davidedmundson/kde-greeter.git Still purely
demo-ish code to test the lib.

Robert - are you happy for the Qt demo greeter to have KDE
code/dependencies, or do you want to keep it Qt only?

We'll almost certainly use a Qt based greeter for Ubuntu for Unity 2D,