R: Re: RFC: Switch to Firefox and a 1.5 GB image

LucaTringali TRINGALINVENT at libero.it
Mon Dec 5 23:33:40 UTC 2011

Hi,
I think it's a good idea to have Firefox as default. In fact, it's the most
important FOSS web browser, one of the main project of this world. Everytime I
talk with a person about Kubuntu, one of the first thing I hear is "It's free
software? So it has Firefox!" And it's very hard to explain that yes, we are a
free open source software project but no, we don't ship Kubuntu with Firefox
preinstalled. Common people just can't undestand this thing.
I think we should stop this religious war between GNOME and KDE applications.
It's clear that KDE applications are better in many cases, but Firefox, Gimp,
and Inkscape are absolutely better than KDE's alternatives (I like Rekonquer,
but it looks like a toy if I think to Firefox).
The fact that Firefox does not use Kwallet is not a real problem: first of
all, it's not needed. The main part of users does not use a wallet or a keyring
for website password: the Firefox's password archive works just fine for them.
Plus, if your really can't live without KWallet, there's an addon. Sure we
can't promise that this plugin will be compatible with every new version of the
program, but as every FOSS project, it will depend from the real interest of
people.
I would also propose to distribute a version of Kubuntu with everything a
normal user can need (something like a "home edition"). I talking not only
about Firefox preinstalled, but also the flash plugin, all the main codecs, and
all the other non free software that a user need to have, in order to discover
all the beauty and easiness of Kubuntu. For the same reason, there are some
servicemenus I find very very useful (give a look at http://brainstorm.ubuntu.
com/idea/26778/).
Personally, I think the only way to encourage commons Windows/Mac users to
join Kubuntu is to make it just easier than other systems. And this means it
must have everything ready for the use.

Luca Tringali