Versioning for PPA uploads

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Apr 11 04:07:09 UTC 2011

I'm looking at the Maverick packages for KDE 4.5.5 to see about uploading to
maverick-proposed.  The versioning is a very mixed bag.  Not much of it
helpful.

By the normal versioning guidlines for -proposed/-updates I'd like to land
these packages as 4:4.5.5-0ubuntu0.1.  Unforunately I won't be able to do
this.  We've already got things like:

4:4.5.5-0ubuntu1.1ppa1
4:4.5.5-0ubuntu1ppa1

and my personal favorite:

4:4.5.85really4.5.5-0ubuntu1ppa1

Since 4.5.5 was never in the Ubuntu archive before, I'm just going to go with:

4:4.5.5-0ubuntu2

In the future, please pay attention to numbering with the archive in mind.
I'd suggest a pattern like:

4:4.X.Y-0ubuntu0.1~ppaZ

Thanks,

Scott K