Strings not translated in Kubuntu 10.10 RC

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Sat Oct 9 20:21:44 BST 2010

On Friday, October 08, 2010 11:23:18 pm Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Friday, October 08, 2010 08:02:07 pm Alessandro Ghersi wrote:
> > Anyway, I suggest (if it's possible) to move our translations into KDE
> > repository to don't let Launchpad breaks anymore our translation.
> > Get rid of Launchpad for the translations maybe can be a thing to put
> > into the list of possible discussion at UDS.
>
> I thought that WAS what KUbuntu did for translations.  Anything KDE, they
> take the upstream ones, and only use LP for Kubuntu-specific stuff.

They still get loaded stripped and uploaded into language packs with
opportunities along the way for LP translators and infrastructure to "improve"
the situation.

We've repeatedly asked for existing KDE translations to be locked so that the
only thing Ubuntu translators can do is provide missing strings.  It's not a
priority apparently.

I still support that we not import core KDE translations into Rosetta and just
use the upstream translations directly.  I think it would both provide better
translations for users and be less work for developers.

Scott K