updated Netbook to Lucid -- NetworkManager is disabled

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 16:12:52 GMT 2010

On Thursday 25 March 2010 5:43:18 am Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 March 2010 22:46:33 Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> > On Wednesday 24 March 2010 2:52:25 pm Daniel Chen wrote:
> > >
> > > Please file a regression-potential tagged bug against linux so that we
> > > can fix it.
> >
> > Sorry, bad phrasing.  The wireless adapter itself goes back to working
> > after  reboot, but because NetworkManager ignores that NM was disabled by
> > the rfkill being pressed and just assumes it's globally disabled, the
> > result (to an end user who doesn't know to use ifup) is like it stays
> > disabled across reboots.
>
> Hm, you mean that network manager doesn't pick up you're wifi adapter being
> available again? Can you reproduce the same with GNOME's nm-applet and
> maybe the Plasmoid? I've been testing the hotplugging and rfkilling pretty
> extensively, and it works just fine here.

Yeah, I'll have to do a bit more testing, but the boot where it suddenly had
"enabled=false" was the one immediately after I'd rfkill'd* so I was
hypothesizing that upon rfkill hitting, it wrote that "false" to the file.
Could also just be a coincidence.

* I didn't bring rf back on before shutting down because, well... that has
never worked on this laptop.  Reboot's always how I've done it.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo