Kubuntu has no integration of XDG directories in file manager.

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 01:09:01 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 23 March 2010 8:56:20 pm Pan Shi Zhu wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Harald Sitter <apachelogger at ubuntu.com>
wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 23. März 2010 14:57:46 schrieb Pan Shi Zhu:

> >> The rationale is consistency.
> >
> > Consistency of what? I do not see any association between default created
> > directories in the user's home and random links the user can place in a
> > sidebar.
> >
> > Unless the places links are meant to duplicate the home directory?
>
> This is a duplicate only if you don't have anything else in your home,
> if you got more than 200 directories in $HOME, spot those 5
> directories from a single directory isn't an easy job.
>
> But the fact is: if we don't make good use of those directories,
> average user will tend to put everything in $HOME, and then those xdg
> directories get useless since there isn't any shortcut and it is hard
> to find a single directory from 200+ directories.
>
> I setup kubuntu environments for 20+ average users and they had been
> using it for 3 years, so this is what I see as a system administrator.
> Providing shortcut in dolphin means we "recommend" using them instead
> of putting everything in $HOME.

It's also consistent for people switching from other desktop environments.
Ubuntu's Nautilus has them shortcutted.  Windows Explorer has My Documents, My
Music, and My Pictures shortcutted.  OSX does the same in their file manager
thing (name is escaping me).  Users switching to Kubuntu from other
environments would likely be very comfortable with "my file manager makes it
easy for me to get to major categories of files."

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo