getting started

Yuval Levy ubuntu08 at sfina.com
Sat Mar 13 20:55:56 GMT 2010

Hello, first time here, primarily scratching my own itches, might end up
contributing if time and skills permit.

Kubuntu has been my primary desktop for three months and I love it. As with
every desktop before, there are small things that I'd like to change. Rather
than list them and beg a friendly soul to solve my problems, I thought I'd
look under the hood myself.

I am looking for a jump start: how do I set my machine up to hack on Kubuntu?
I've searched the web extensively, including KDE.org, and while I found plenty
of tutorials and other interesting information, I did not find a sweet and
short one that refer to this very specific situation:

First, starting from a plain vanilla Kubuntu install, I would like to get the
source packages from apt, make small changes in there, and install a default
Kubuntu from these self-built packages rather than from downloaded binary
packages. I guess it is only a few lines in a terminal: sudo apt-get install
<TOOLS, DEPENDENCIES, SRC-PACKAGES> && cd <SRC-TREE> && cmake <SOME_OPTIONS>
&& make && make package && sudo dpkg -i PACKAGE

Then I would like to try to make minor changes, rebuild and install. The minor
change I am thinking of presently is to add a preference in Dolphin for the
copy behavior to mimic either cp (as it does now) or cp -a (as I would like it
to do on my desktop and as Gnome's Nautilus has been doing for a while now).
Patches/diffs at this stage would not be very helpful to KDE/Kubuntu, since
they are against "old" source.

Later, I would like to have multiple concurrent versions of KDE on Kubuntu - a
stable version to work with and a development version to hack on; with the
development version coming from SVN - with an easy way to switch between them.
This is when I expect to be able to start contributing patches upstream.

Did I miss something?

If there is already documentation available, please point me to the specific
document(s) you recommend I read.

Otherwise, can you provide me with some guidance? I'll be happy to contribute
back to the documentation to help jump start the next person in my situation.

Thank you in advance!
Yuv