PowerTOP: audio device active 100% of the time, how to file bug?

Alexander van Loon a.vanloon at alexandervanloon.nl
Fri Mar 12 08:10:58 GMT 2010

On vr, 2010-03-05 at 14:40 +0100, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Monday 01 March 2010 14:05:51 Alexander van Loon wrote:
> > Please see this – https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/521424 – bug
> > report. To make a long story short: PowerTOP notices that one or two
> > audio devices are active 100% of the time, thus causing unnecessary
> > power consumption. However, this only occurred on Kubuntu 9.10, Ubuntu
> > 9.10 wasn’t affected and had a significantly lower power consumption.
> > The problem is still present on Kubuntu Lucid, both with the standard
> > kernel and the 2.6.33 kernel. This was all tested with fresh
> > installations.
> >
> > As you can read in my bug report, I spent quite some time researching
> > this and figuring out what was going on, but I still wasn’t sure for
> > which package I should file a bug report, and to whom it should be
> > assigned, exactly because only Kubuntu seems to be affected. The bug
> > report is a few weeks old now, without any response.
> >
> > My question is, can anyone tell me to which person(s) I should bring
> > this bug to attention, and what information I should provide in my bug
> > report to help getting it fixed?
>
> Have you tried using different phonon backends? (There might be a difference between
> the xine and gstreamer backend, as we've seen in the past.)
> --
> sebas
>
> http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org | GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9

Sorry for replying late, I didn’t use any backend other than the default
Xine Phonon backend, but I just tested it with the GStreamer backend.

I apt-getted phonon-backend-gstreamer, then went to System Settings →
Multimedia → Backend and preferred GStreamer over Xine there. Then I
rebooted and started PowerTOP, which still said that the audio devices
were active 100% of the time. Simply put, it didn’t make any difference.

Thank you for your attention for my problem. We met at the Dutch KDE 4.4
release party in Culemborg, by the way.

I hope anyone from the Kubuntu team could be bothered to at least reply
to my bug report, it’s been reported for over a month now but still no
comment. Are the Kubuntu team or the Phonon maintainers seriously
overworked or something?