testers needed for plasma-widget-networkmanagement

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Mar 9 15:11:21 GMT 2010

Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 March 2010 09:21:17 Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Only wired works.
>
> Can you make sure the networkmanagement module is loaded into kded?
>  ( qdbus org.kde.kded /kded org.kde.kded.loadModule networkmanagement
>  )

Did that - returns true.

> To be sure, pull up "kcmshell4 kcmkded" and check if there is
>  "EXPERIMENTAL NetworkManager User Settings Service" among the
>  Load-on-Demand services, and that it's running.

Yes, it is running.

> > When I hover over the plasmoid it says "Wireless 802.11 UNKNOWN
> > STATE FIX ME".
>
> The usefulness of big, ugly error messages :) I assume this one's in
>  the tooltip and you don't see it on the Plasmoid's popup?

Yes and no. Yes, it is the tool tip. No, I can see it at the plasmoid's
popup as well.

> > I left clicked the plasmoid and then "Manage Connections" and
> > the scan button doesn't see any of the two networks available,
> > which can be seen with "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan". If I try to enter
> > the network data manually it doesn't let me use WPA2. That was on
> > the AMD64 system BTW. Wireless apadter is Atheros AR5001 chip set
> > with the ath5k driver.
>
> Can you also check "nm-tool"?

~/ > nm-tool

NetworkManager Tool

State: disconnected

- Device: eth0
  Type:              Wired
  Driver:            r8169
  State:             unavailable
  Default:           no
  HW Address:        00:1E:33:F5:81:27

  Capabilities:
    Carrier Detect:  yes
    Speed:           10 Mb/s

  Wired Properties
    Carrier:         off

- Device: wlan0
  Type:              802.11 WiFi
  Driver:            ath5k
  State:             disconnected
  Default:           no
  HW Address:        00:26:B6:11:1D:37

  Capabilities:

  Wireless Properties
    WEP Encryption:  yes
    WPA Encryption:  yes
    WPA2 Encryption: yes

  Wireless Access Points
    WLAN-001F3F1CA20C: Infra, 00:1F:3F:1C:A2:0C, Freq 2412 MHz, Rate 54
Mb/s, Strength 41 WPA
    WLAN-1839EDE9C7: Infra, 00:18:39:ED:E9:C7, Freq 2462 MHz, Rate 54
Mb/s, Strength 94 WPA2

~/ >

What else do you want me to test?

Nils