testers needed for plasma-widget-networkmanagement

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Mar 9 13:59:50 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 09:21:17 Nils Kassube wrote:
> Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/experimental
> > apt-get update
> > apt-get install plasma-widget-networkmanagement
> > apt-get remove network-manager-kde
>
> I had to remove wicd. Shouldn't the network-manager-kde and / or plasma-
> widget-networkmanagement packages be in conflict with the wicd packages?
>
> > killall knetworkmanager
> > sleep 3
> > qdbus org.kde.kded /kded org.kde.kded.loadModule networkmanagement
> > right click on the system tray -> System tray settings -> plasma
> > widgets -> tick network management
> >
> > You should now be able to use the plasmoid to connect to the network
> > and reply to this e-mail telling us how you got on.
>
> Only wired works.

Can you make sure the networkmanagement module is loaded into kded?
 ( qdbus org.kde.kded /kded org.kde.kded.loadModule networkmanagement )

To be sure, pull up "kcmshell4 kcmkded" and check if there is "EXPERIMENTAL
NetworkManager User Settings Service" among the Load-on-Demand services, and that
it's running.

> When I hover over the plasmoid it says "Wireless 802.11 UNKNOWN STATE
> FIX ME".

The usefulness of big, ugly error messages :) I assume this one's in the tooltip and
you don't see it on the Plasmoid's popup?

> I left clicked the plasmoid and then "Manage Connections" and
> the scan button doesn't see any of the two networks available, which can
> be seen with "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan". If I try to enter the network
> data manually it doesn't let me use WPA2. That was on the AMD64 system
> BTW. Wireless apadter is Atheros AR5001 chip set with the ath5k driver.

Can you also check "nm-tool"?

> With the i386 version on the same machine I can see my wireless network
> and I can enter the WPA2 passphrase but it doesn't connect.

Sounds strange (but that's what testing is for ;)).
--
sebas