kde-l10n-common

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 3 18:57:24 GMT 2010

Salut!

Recently we stumbled across weird out-of-syncness concerning our kde-l10n
packages. Since we have them all packaged up individually it is quite the PITA
to ensure that everything is in sync and all packages are using state of the
art packaging.

As a result of that I remembered a project I suggested like a year ago, though
I did not come across to implement it. But this time I did ;)

kde-l10n-common [1] is a regular debian-only packaging branch like we use it
for most of our core packages. But since this branch needs to be used for some
50 packages with different names at all, it is a bit "tweaked" in comparision
with a regular packaging branch ;)

1. whenever something needs to be subsituted with the language code used in
ubuntu for a specific language aaaUBUNTULANGCODEbbb is used as placeholder,
most importantly this is the package name itself
2.  whenever something needs to be subsituted with the language code used in
KDE for a specific language aaaKDELANGNAMEbbb is used as placeholder
3.  whenever something needs to be subsituted with the language name used in
KDE for a specific language aaaKDELANGNAMEbbb is used as placeholder (I trust
in the fact that names only get used in actual text and that ubuntu does not
invent new names for languages, so there is only a sub variable based on what
KDE calls the language)
4. whenever it is possible a file includes ###BOILERPLATE### which gets
subsituted with a warning, that should help to prevent uploads that would
bring the kde-l10n packages out of sync

The packaging is also including a script for actually building the package
(debian/build-l10n.sh). At the time of writing this script creates a sepearte
build dir, then branches the common packaging, downloads all kde-l10n packages
and then for each language creates a new branch in which it subsitutes above
mentioned placeholders with actually useful values, then from this branch it
will build a source package that is ready to be uploaded.

After the script is done, the build directory includes another dir called
build-area which includes all source packages waiting to be uploaded.

If someone please could poke around a bit and/or review the script and/or
highlight issues with above stated process, I would be very glad :)

[1] https://code.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-members/kubuntu-dev-tools/kde-l10n-
common

--
Harald Sitter