Kubuntu Meeting Minutes

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 22 16:52:51 GMT 2010

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Meetings/Minutes/2009-12-22

= Kubuntu Meeting 2009-12-22 =

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/01/21/%23ubuntu-meeting.html

ACTION ITEMS
ScottK: work with tomplast to get usb-modeswitch into main
JonathanRiddell, quintasan: switch qt to ibus

== Does the Kubuntu Council need a mailing list ==

We decided not to have a mailing list, the launchpad page has a
"contact this team" facility

== Speedcrunch vs. KCalc ==

We decided to switch to KCalc from Speedcrunch which saves some size
and gives us more translations

== Ubuntu IRC Council for channel domination ==

The Ubuntu IRC Council want ops access on our channel.  We weren't
clear why this was decided without consultation with the Kubuntu
community (JonathanRiddell originally registered the Kubuntu namespace
with freenode but this seems to have been changed without consent at
some point).  We decided to postpone the decision until a more full
explanation can be given on the mailing list.

== DBusMenu and applications getting creative with tray menus ==

Aurelien discussed the status of the DBusMenu implementation for
systray icons.  We decided to try and add a "don't use dbus menu"
option to the API for apps which use a-typical menu widgets such as
kopete.

== How will the experience in Kubuntu 10.04 be for mobile broadband
users? ==

This is a matter for upstream knetworkmanager.

usb-modeswitch is needed for some devices and ScottK and tomplast will
put it into main.

== IRC client deathmatch? ==

We discussed IRC clients again.  There doesn't seem to be much to
advantage one over the other, especially if Quassel gets gettext
support.  We postponed any change.

== Input Methods once again ==

quintasan and jonathan to look at changing Qt default input method to
ibus

== mplayerthumbs vs kffmpegthumbnailer ==

kffmpegthumbnailer is a nice thumbnailer for videos, quite fast.
Space permitting we will try and get it onto the CD.