Logic error in (4.4b2) Xsetup

Zorael zorael at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 21:29:44 GMT 2010

> The last "normal" behavior you list is intentional.  I think it
> probably makes sense to display ksplashx on autologin as well to, as
> you said, make it look like the user desktop is getting loaded
> earlier.  So I don't know what the check is for -- maybe that caused
> too much flickering on autologin or something like that.
>
> ~ Yuriy

Curious. Since the ksplashx is identical to the ksplash, I thought
they were meant to seamlessly blend into eachother when automatically
logging in. (To verify their sameness, try making a symlink of the
Default directory /usr/share/kde4/apps/ksplash/Themes/ to Blargh, and
then run 'ksplashx Blargh --test'.)

As it is now, when on manual login it looks like it's loading the
desktop, then takes a step backwards to the login screen, then again
like it's loading the desktop, then finishes.

Bear with me one last time. To illustrate differently, imagine for the
sake of the argument that the greeter had the text 'Hello, please
login', the ksplashx had the text 'Ok, loading desktop!', the normal
ksplash likewise (since they are identical), and the desktop merely
'Desktop'. The current order would make it;

  'Ok, loading desktop!' -> 'Hello, please login' -> 'Ok, loading
desktop!' -> 'Desktop'.

It would have made sense if the ksplashx wasn't identical to the
ksplash. Try running 'ksplashx Default --test', and imagine it popping
up before the login screen does.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from, even if I'm just
misunderstanding the design.

Zorael