[kubuntu-devel] Updates, upgrades, and PPA's, oh my....

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Sat Feb 20 17:47:46 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 15 December 2009 06:45:04 am Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 02:02:21PM -0500, Clay Weber wrote:
> > I  think we need a more clearly defined definition on what sort of
> > packages go into which ppa.
>
> A wiki page with full descriptions and current status would be good (or
> even a page on kubuntu.org).
>
> > Currently, there are 5 ppa archives listed for Kubuntu:
>
> > 1) Kubuntu Backports:
> Major new releases
>
> > 2) Kubuntu Beta Backports
> > "Backports of beta versions of KDE and major KDE apps"
>
> betas of major new releases
>
> > 3) Kubuntu Experimental
> > "Testing ground for unfinished Kubuntu packages."
>
> for developers doing testing
>
> > 4) Kubuntu Updates
> > "Updates for Kubuntu releases which are due to go to Ubuntu Updates.
> > Mostly KDE point releases."
>
> minor point releases
>
> > 5) Kubuntu Package Staging (DON'T USE)
>
> Used for building packages before coping to the intended PPA
>
> Jonathan

After setting this aside for a long while, and prodding from Apachelogger :) I
started this wiki page on the subject:
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/KubuntuPPAs
Apachelogger has added wonderful things to it as well.

Input, corrections, and any ideas would be welcome!

Perhaps a user-oriented version might be useful as well

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net