No indicator message in Message Indicator

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at canonical.com
Mon Feb 15 15:44:01 GMT 2010

Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
>
>> Application icons in the status bar appear and disappear all the time,
>> I don't think that is weird. I think of the MI as a service, and if it
>> isn't applicable then it shouldn't be there (to be fair, I feel the
>> same way about the KDE notifications indicator as well. I don't think
>> it should be visible if you don't have any current messages or
>> messages in the queue).
>
> Hehe, just disable notifications and job handling in the systemtray and
> it goes away ;)
>
>> However, moving and removing it on the panel is an issue. Do you know
>> if you could make the widget visible only in edit mode? The
>> visualization might be tricky to get across the widget is there, just
>> invisible. Maybe desaturated icon? Hmm.
>
> That's a good idea. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Will also look at the
> spacer widget, as suggested by Mackenzie.

Today I had a look at the spacer widget, and didn't notice any
difference in the rendering between normal and edit mode :/. Doesn't
mean it can't be done, though, I need to check with the plasma devs.

I found an interesting feature of Plasma applets though: when an applet
is embedded in the systemtray, it can set a "status", similar to what
applications can do with KStatusNotifierItem items. When an applet sets
its status to passive, it is not visible in the systemtray unless one
clicks on the "expand" arrow.

I implemented this here, setting the applet status to Passive if no M-I
application is running, Active if there is at least one M-I application
running, and NeedsAttention when a M-I application requests attention.

Since I am getting short in time, I am thinking of just removing the
"url" part of my message panel, so that the applet is not Kubuntu
specific. As long as the applet is embedded in the systemtray, users
will get the autohiding feature.

What do you think?

Aurélien