Kubuntu CD Upgrade

Pan Shi Zhu pan.shizhu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 07:24:58 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Clay Weber <claydoh at midmaine.com> wrote:

> You *can* upgrade using a cd, just not using the live disk. You need to get
> the Alternate cd image and when inserted, it should prompt you for the
> upgrade.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades#AlternateUpgrade

Hmm, I've begun trying cd upgrade since ubuntu 5.10=>6.06 and every
later versions, but it usually does not give me a completely usable
system.

It may take several pages to explain the whole things clearly, but
upgrade from cd generally does not have a good user experience for
newbies and should not be recommended unless you have a ubuntu-guru
beside you and ready to solve the problems.

I've been providing technical support on ubuntu-installation inside my
company for years. For now I realized it really is impossible to make
a decent cd-rom upgrade tool for ubuntu when you can only put 700M
inside a single CD. Build a cached http-proxy is a much better way to
go.