About message indicator and launchers

Roderick B. Greening roderick.greening at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 14:25:44 BST 2009

> Roderick B. Greening wrote:
> > +1 from me.
> >
> > It's a MI only as far as I am concerned and as far as the specification
> > goes. Let's stick with that.
> >
> > Only applications that are installed and running and having waiting
> > messages should show up here. If it's not installed, not running or no
> > messages, the list would be empty (e.g. the app does not show up). IMO.
> >
> > In the current implementation, Kopete and Kmail (for example) show in the
> > list when no messages. I believe they should not show at all as this
> > should not be a launcher (at least thats how I understand what was spec'd
> > - though could be wrong).
>
> If the application entry in the indicator is supposed to replace the
> systray icon, then the application should show up in the menu as soon as
> it is running.

Sure, if it can be made to hide the icon from the systray but keep the
application active within the MI. Not sure how easy this may be. Basically, in
order for the application to be kept running, some instance of the application
must be running somewhere (i.e. some type of window or icon). If the icon
embeddd in the MI is an instance of the tray icon (for example) it would
effectively keep the application active and running.

Maybe it's possible to "gobble" up the tray icon into the MI instead of the
systray thus keeping the app running and then the icom in the MI would behave
and allow the left click to re-open (unhide) the main window and a right click
would give the same right-click options from the original systray icon. So,
what I am suggesting is a way to embed the icon from the systray into the MI
(if that makes sense).

Thoughts?