Ayatana-like notifications for Plasma

Roderick B. Greening roderick.greening at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 13:51:17 BST 2009

I'll toss my 2 cents into the ring...

> Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > My proposal would be to just add / remove the Ayatana applet and switch
> > off / on the native notifications. This way it could be done completely
> > at run-time, and doesn't require separate packaging -- this would make
> > testing the Ayatana version a lot easier, and make packager's lives less
> > painful.
>
> For users, I don't think it would make it easier than toggling a single
> checkbox as it is right now.

I am assuming here that Sebastian is suggesting that adding the Notify Applet
would automatically turn on Ayatana notifications and off the native. It makes
sense to me. No checkbox required in that case, as simply having the applet
run, should check the config and verify the appropriate rc file is updated and
proper notification is on/off.

At least thats what I assume was meant here.

> For packagers, it would mean packaging another plasmoid instead of
> applying a patch set, I don't really know which one is easier.

Maintaining a patch is worse than maintaining a seperate package (IMO).
Patches have a tendency to break frequently as we update the code. Whereas a
seperate plasmoid, it can stand on its own, and a simple re-build of the
package each cycle should just work (unless plasma changes intrinsicly in the
meantime).

> For me, it means more code duplication as I would have to duplicate part
> of the systemtray plasmoid code.

Whic parts would be duplicated? Maybe there's a way around that that Sebastian
could suggest :)

> > Note that the applet doesn't need to
> > be visible at all (make it 1x1 px transparant if you wish), or plugged
> > into the systray (which is supported since KDE 4.3).

Plugged into the systray would be neat, like the existing [(i)] in the current
implementation. I don't see why it couldn't replace or attach itself to that
in the tray (possibly)

> This sounds a bit hackish. I imagine the user dragging the plasmoid from
> the plasmoid browser and wondering where it is gone after releasing the
> mouse button. And plugging into the systray is a KDE4.4 feature.

Plugging in vs Running in is different. I believe the plugin is like the
attached Kde indicator we have today. Whereas Running in isn't available until
4.4.