Powerdevil notifications

Yuriy Kozlov yuriy.kozlov at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 01:17:44 BST 2009

2009/9/9 Aurélien Gâteau <aurelien.gateau at canonical.com>:
> Hi,
>
> As you probably know (at least if you are using KDE4 on a laptop),
> Powerdevil shows a notification when you are running out of power and it
> is about to suspend/hibernate/shutdown the computer.
>
> This notification provides an action to cancel the suspend process. This
> is the only notification I found within KDE which could cause a real
> problem when using Ayatana notifications.  Gnome-power-manager used a
> similar notification, and the notification was turned into a dialog, the
> argument being that the program is about to do something very drastic,
> so it is OK to show a dialog in this situation.
>
> I would like to make a similar change in Powerdevil.  I think this
> change would be a good idea even when using regular KDE notifications
> (there has been some discussion on the subject on kde-core-devel@, with
> mixed opinions, but I think it could be upstreamed).  I attached a
> mock-up of the dialog I would like to implement.  What do you think
> about this?
>
> Aurelien

I am for this becoming a dialog.  When it has come up, I never seemed
to get down there in time.  Though I thought I did -- it seemed more
like the button just didn't do anything!  Regardless, it's an urgent
message and something will most certainly be interrupting my work in
10 seconds if I don't act on it, so it should be a dialog.

Can you link to the kde-core-devel discussion?

~ Yuriy