Language Selector + kde-l10n-*

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 23 09:24:20 BST 2009

Since Jonathan Thomas just mentioned it...

Language-selector does, in karmic, ask the user to install kde-l10n-*. This is
done in the same course of action as missing translations.

After installation a tray icon should appear that tells the user that there
are missing translations. Upon clicking it will open language-selector, which
recommends installing a couple of lang-packs. It will install, amongst other
things, kde-l10n for the user selected language.

As I wrote this, two downsides came to my mind:
a) Currently we do not check for missing translations every once in a while
(should be implemented in update-notifier-kde?)
b) Due to a) a user who upgrades will only be queried to install the package
if they manually open language-selector (so maybe we should recommend in the
release notes to do so?)

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer