Project Timelord -- Initial consideration

Yuriy Kozlov yuriy-kozlov at kubuntu.org
Fri Oct 23 05:06:02 BST 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Ralph Janke <txwikinger at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> sounds like a good idea. One thing that I have not found on that given
> document (at least not explicitly), is an improvement of automatic
> testing. IMHO, one of the biggest problem we have (and actually this can
> be extended to all *buntu distros and highly likely to a lot of distros
> in general) is always those nagging regressions every release. And since
> we are so much into cloud computing now, maybe we should think about how
> to use "clouds" for this issue as much as possible.
>
> I would like to see some way of be able to submit, manage etc test cases
> (in form of specification and implementation) that would help to raise a
> lot of those regression far earlier in the release cycle, and because
> they can run lots of times during the cycle also those problems that are
> re-introduced later in the cycle.
>
> I know that this is not the solution for everything, however, I would
> hope such efforts would make a clear improvement in QA. It can also be
> interdependent with the bug triage that is mentioned in the document,
> since a part of bug triage could be an effort to develop a test case for
> each particular bug (where applicable) that is raised.
>
> Just an idea,
> Ralph (txwikinger)

Ralph,

Any such QA proposals should be directed to the Ubuntu-QA team, who we
should try to work more closely with.  There have been various
proposals (and some implementation??) of more automated QA processes
in Ubuntu.  There are people in the Ubuntu community at least
nominally working on it and there are Canonical employees working on
various tools and processes.  There were about as many QA meetings at
the last UDS as there were Kubuntu ones.  It's important that we all
benefit from anything either the Kubuntu or Ubuntu community comes up
with in this area and that Kubuntu takes full advantage of what the
Ubuntu community comes up with.
Unfortunately I don't actually have anything concrete to contribute
here though, just something to think about.

~ Yuriy