Project Timelord -- Initial consideration

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 21 16:12:41 BST 2009

Am Mittwoch, 21. Oktober 2009 16:42:21 schrieb Scott Kitterman:
> I did look at adding synaptic since IMO KpackageKit is cleary unsuitable
> and I'm not sure it even aspires to suitability.  IIRC it pulled in about
> 50 MB of Gnome/GTK stuff.  Avoiding Gnome/GTK has always been, for me, more
> about fitting on the CD than any notion of ideological purity.  If we go
> this direction, we are going to have to have to give something up.

Possibly recommends need to be refitted, or conflicts (seedwise) introduced?

Anyway, I think that knm is a better suited example of why the policy makes no
sense:
a) I cannot connect to my wifi at home
b) I cannot connect to the wifi at university
c) I cannot connect to universities's VPN
d) All of the above works perfectly fine with nm-applet
e) Upstream suggested various times that we should use nm-applet at least for
the time being

So, honest to god, if we had to kick speedcrunch (which is, btw, considerable
bigger than kcalc) and the german translations (incomplete as they are for
Kubuntu apps) why did we not look into this more seriously?
Working network is important one would suppose.

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer