Project Timelord -- Initial consideration

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Oct 21 15:42:21 BST 2009

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:28:12 -0400 Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Conclusion, users are tired to see system applications broken on default
>> installation just because there is a policy that says "no GTK" on the cd,
>> moreover, this policy where is write and who decided?
>
>I think that we should change this policy, since Human Beings usually care
>about working stuff more than Qt-only stuff.

I did look at adding synaptic since IMO KpackageKit is cleary unsuitable
and I'm not sure it even aspires to suitability.  IIRC it pulled in about
50 MB of Gnome/GTK stuff.  Avoiding Gnome/GTK has always been, for me, more
about fitting on the CD than any notion of ideological purity.  If we go
this direction, we are going to have to have to give something up.

Scott K