Project Timelord -- Initial consideration

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Wed Oct 21 04:04:09 BST 2009

On Tuesday 20 October 2009 04:21:09 pm Jonathan Thomas wrote:
> Hello fellow Kubuntu developers,
>
> Kubuntu, as we know, is a fairly good KDE distribution. (Otherwise we would
> not be here reading this mailing list) However, things are not perfect. In
> fact, things could be much better.
>
> "But what is Project Timelord?", you may ask, "and how does it relate to
> Kubuntu's problems?" Both are good questions. Project Timelord is the
> brainchild of the Kubuntu developer legend Harald Sitter; the culmination
>  of several weeks of brainstorming by a handful of Kubuntu developers,
>  focused towards identifying problems Kubuntu currently faces and
solutions
>  for these problems.
>
> And now, we wish to bring Project Timelord to the attention of the greater
> Kubuntu development community for input. You can find the internal
>  developer release announcement that outlines the purpose and proposed
>  solutions of Project Timelord at:
>  http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfc7xjfj_18g8k5ztg4
>
> If it is decided that we would like to adopt Project Timelord as a goal to
> work towards over the next few cycles, we can start towards prioritizing
>  the solutions and work towards forming a roadmap to implementing these
>  solutions. This way we can all stay in the know of what is going on even
>  if we are unable to attend UDS, and those attending UDS will have a
>  unified goal to work towards as they flesh out the implementation details
>  for Kubuntu 10.04, Lucid Lynx.
>
> The purpose of this email is to generate discussion to determine whether
>  the Kubuntu developer community wishes to adopt this plan or not, as well
>  as to provide input on the brainstormed solutions. Until it is decided, we
>  would politely ask you to not announce the existence of the project to the
>  general public. We would like to hear your thoughts on the initiative
>  here, though. :)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jonathan "JontheEchidna" Thomas.

My thoughts and questions on this:

Developing on a mission statement, or project vision, should actually aid in
overcoming most of  the non-technical issues we face.

How will upstream deal with our passing bugs up there? Sometimes I feel a
little negativity towards us in bko.

What about broken items such as wireless, bluetooth problems we have had
in the past? These serious software issues also need some sort of
mechanism to address missing functionality if and when this happens in the
future. I think this single issue has gone a long way towards tarnishing our
image.

A Bug Day is a fantastic idea. One area where I personally could do more
work is helping with the bugs in launchpad.

I look forward to seeing where this leads!

clay