Lucid Documentation

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 19:39:55 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Arthur Schiwon
<blizzz at arthur-schiwon.de>wrote:

> Hey,
>
> count me in!
>
> I am also not a native English speaker, and it surely is optimizable, but
> it
> should be readable, though. I also did some german docs in the past (though
> not as much as Christian ;) ).
>
> If i got it correctly, docbook is similair to html, so that won't be any
> problem. Nevertheless i am wondering if the docbook reference (link mailed
> by
> richard before) has a downloadable version? Coz I am on a trip this
> weekend,
> inlcuding ~10hrs in a train without internet connection...
>
> Besides, this page does not seem to exist
> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/DocumenationTeam There are some suggestions, but
> cannot make out a starting page.
>
> Cheers
> Arthur
>

> On Thursday 19 November 2009 16:16:37 Richard JOHNSON wrote:
> > Hola!
> >
> > OK, I am starting to plan on how to go about doing the documentation for
> > Lucid. Right now there is no doubt that a complete rewrite is necessary
> for
> > us to even have something decent, as updating the old documentation would
> > just be a royal pain. As some of you may know we use a topic based
> > approach, though quite fake in our setup, and a bit of a pain as well. I
> > have started outlining the topics to cover with our system documentation
> > [1].
> >
> > Note, if you are interested in helping to contribute to the docs this
> > session, please do speak up. We use DocBook/XML with the Article
> !DOCTYPE.
> > It is very simple markup and if you can figure out HTML then DocBook
> should
> > be just as easy.
> >
> > We will continue using DocBook/XML until something better comes along to
> > suit our needs. Because of this we do not write documentation on the
> wiki,
> > though we do use documentation from the wiki. If you do not know how to
> > DocBook and don't want to learn it, you are free to send a .txt file or
> > such and one of us (myself or Jonathan Jesse) can convert it to DocBook
> for
> > you.
> >
> > If you can think of any other topics that NEED to be covered, please add
> > them under the section 'Needed Topics' at the bottom of the wiki page
> [1].
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > [1] https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Documentation/Lucid

For those that are new to to writing docbook xml feel free to send anything
over to me that you have written in a txt file or in email aqnd I can put it
the documentation.  To start learning docbook you can check out the
kubuntu-docs branch (bzr branch lp:kubuntu-docs) and take a look at exactly
what is going on there.  It isn't very hard to learn once you start reading
it and making changes.
Also feel free to drop me a line on #kubuntu-devel or #ubuntu-docs as jjesse