Use "desktop" in a disambiguous way: get rid of the desktop folder

Andrea Canidio acanidio at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 18:14:29 GMT 2009

Hi Everybody,

thanks to the folder view plasmoid, now the Desktop folder does not need to be
on the desktop anymore: one could have the Home directory or the directory
corresponding to the project he is working on in that period.

Therefore thinks like "show the Desktop" become ambiguous: a user may expect
Dolphin to open and show the desktop folder. There are several other cases
where I think this is an issue, like "save to Desktop": meaning, in the folder
that I have currently on the Desktop or in my Desktop folder?

It seems to me that in Kde4 the Desktop folder is just a regular folder. So to
avoid confusion, perhaps we should eliminate it, or call it something else.

Cheers!

Andrea