Ksplash and icon for kubuntu

Kenneth Wimer kwwii at ubuntu.com
Sat May 30 09:03:40 BST 2009

Hi all,

On May 30, 2009, at 6:27 AM, Richard JOHNSON wrote:

> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:25:22PM +0200, Christian Mangold wrote:
>> Am Freitag, 29. Mai 2009 22:11:52 schrieb Steve Stalcup:
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> I thought that the guys at UDS discussed branding and we do not
>> want to change
>> the upstream look?

Right, the policy is to stay as close to upstream as possible with
just enough changes to create a slight noticeable difference without
diluting upstream branding. The menu icon is the major point of
upstream branding - it is in our interest as a community which relies
heavily on upstream to keep it. In some ways it represents Kubuntu as
a reference implementation of KDE.

> I don't think it was, because it was a part of the Gobby session
> that I
> documented this evening. It seems Kenneth might have some time to
> work on
> new artwork for Kubuntu this session.

Indeed, I hope to help make things rock.

> As for this artwork, I absolutely love it, however...There is always a
> however I think. Oxygen will be gone for 4.3, which is what Karmic
> will
> have. I don't know if we will go with Air, or modify our own
> version. At
> this time, I haven't seen an Air KDM theme or KSplash theme yet. I
> started
> working on a KDM theme that mimics an old school Kubuntu KDM by
> Kenneth.
> Making in the mindset of "Kubuntu is back!

If we're going through the trouble, why not look into improving the
interface? It wouldn't be too hard to come up with some good ideas,
if anyone is interested in implementing them.

--
Kenneth