problems with upgrade of kde

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at gmail.com
Wed May 20 03:10:00 BST 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 19 May 2009 10:06:33 -0400 Jonathan Jesse <jjesse at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >following hte upgrade instructions for Kubuntu Jaunty running AMD 64
> getting
> >the following errors:
> >
> >WARNING: The following packages cannot be
> >authenticated!
>
> >Install these packages without verification [y/N]?
>
> Please don't do this.  Install the key for the PPA.  See the PPA page in
> Launchpad for details.  Installing packages that aren't cryptographically
> signed is a poor security practice.
>

> > trying to overwrite ...
>
> These are packaging issues that we need to work out.  There is a lot of
> file shuffling in 4.3 between packages and so it will take some incremental
> updates to sort out.
>
> >Any ideas?
> >
> It should be safe to force overwrite these in the meantime.
>
> Scott K

I understand the security issue and have since resolved it.  This evening I
was notified there were new updates and installed them.  The following
packages are now having problems:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/kaddressbook_4%3a4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa5_amd64.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/kdepim-groupware_4%3a4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa5_amd64.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-icons-oxygen_4%3a4.2.85-0ubuntu2~jaunty1~ppa2_all.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-workspace-bin_4%3a4.2.85-0ubuntu2~jaunty2~ppa6_amd64.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/plasma-scriptengine-webkit_4%3a4.2.85-0ubuntu2~jaunty2~ppa6_amd64.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/okular_4%3a4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa1_amd64.deb

It seems the release announcement on the kubuntu.org website was released
way way way to early and should be taken down, no instructions should be out
there on how to upgrade/update to this until there has been some testing on
the packages.  This release seems more rushed then previous releases of KDE
that I have upgraded to.  My computer now feels like I am runing and early
alpha of Karmic instead of Jaunty.  I understand using the experimental ppas
are at my own risk, but have never had these problems before.
I also get several crashes and for some reason the brilliant application
that is network-manager is dropping my wireless connection left and right.
In fact everytime choqoK updates/refreshes my wireless drops.  This did not
happen before the upgrade.

Please test the packages further before announcing the changes on the
website.  I wonder how many other people are in the same boat as I am?  Yes
i want the newest goodness of KDE and yes I want a working machine.  Is that
too hard to ask for?

Jonathan