Jaunty clean install and some suggestions
lure at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 5 23:16:55 GMT 2009
Since I got new laptop to install, I have decided to start from scratch
Kubuntu Jaunty install in order to cleanup my .kde and to also better see the
default install of Kubuntu with KDE4. I have written down some notices for
1. Home directory
After clean install, I get ~/screen-configurations.xml file. Not sure which
application writes this file, but it looks like it should be in ~/.local (at
least that is the place of another screen-configurations.xml file)
2. Package dependancies
I have noticed that we get some gnome-ish packages by default. Note that I
have installed Alpha 5 + updated to latest packages, so some of this may be
- evolution-documentation-en: see https://launchpad.net/bugs/333401
(imho, this should be treated as bug and not a wishlist)
- network-manager-gnome: it was installed by default even though if has
Recommends network-manager-gnome | network-manager-kde
(I suspect we could just add "| plasma-widget-network-manager)
I have also noticed that I have also Crystal icon set installed, but this is
probably due to KDE3 version of k3b (and openoffice.org-kde), which we will
hopefully replace soon (or just drop in case of openoffice.org-kde). ;-)
I wanted to also use kubuntu-restricted-extras, but I was suprised it wanted
to install around 60 packages, including pulseaudio (which I would like to
avoid for the time being) and further qt3 depends - I suspect, this just need
someone to update it for KDE4.
3. Default config - System Settings
- I think we should have "Use my KDE fonts for GTK application" by default.
- Firefox & Thunderbird: missing icon
- Default vs. KDE4 - they are similar (Oxygen look), but not the same - this
is very confusing. Anybody understands this?
- I thought this is auto enabled? On this laptop with Intel 4500 card it is
4. Default config - Plasma/Panel
- kickoff: should we enabel change on hoover?
- pager: should we show icons in 1 row (better for horiyontal panel)?
- pager: should we enable icons by default?
- digital clock: year is not that useful, I would replace if with weekday
We can probably discuss config changes on next meeting and if somebody wants, I
can open individual bugs for some of the above (just ask).
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the kubuntu-devel