Some Kubuntu translations love

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 29 15:02:58 BST 2009

Hi all,

Following what we discussed at UDS regarding improving Kubuntu
translations, I'd like to propose a couple of things with which we can
kickstart the process:

1) Getting translation templates into shape

As it has been pointed out before, some of the Kubuntu translation
templates in Launchpad are not up-to-date, and there is currently no way
to track their changes automatically.

Some time ago the Ubuntu Translation Coordinators (UTC) team [1] was
created in order to let the translation community members to completely
manage translation templates without having to depend on the Launchpad
Translations team.

What we in the UTC team can do now is to manually correct those
templates. Therefore we'd like to start working with the Kubuntu
community to get a list of current KDE translation templates from the
source packages in order to compare them with what we've got in
Launchpad (and maybe in the future be able to provide better heuristics
to the LP Translations team to auto-import KDE templates).

Needless to say, we will welcome anyone with an interest and experience
in KDE translations to join us in the UTC team as well.

Arne Goetje, Ubuntu i18n/l10n Engineer, member of the UTC team (and
temporary Ubuntu Translations Coordinator in the past) will send a
follow up e-mail to this thread with the technical details.

Another thing I should mention is that we're going to open the Karmic
translations very soon (this or next week), and it would be great to
have such a list very soon, so that the amount of manual work after the
opening would be reduced to a minimum. I'm not sure whether this will be
doable in such a short time, but I thought I should at least mention it.

2) Kubuntu Translations Day

I'd like to propose a Kubuntu Translations Day in #kubuntu-devel. The
purpose of this event will be to test everything around Kubuntu
Translations and make sure any issues get detected and fixed well before
release. If you'd like to propose any other activities (e.g. doing
actual translations), please feel free to do so.

I've asked the Launchpad Translations guys and Arne to be there, and
myself and probably other members of the Ubuntu Translations
Coordinators team will be there as well.

The idea is to build upon the work of having rearranged and updated the
translation templates, and also to have released at least the first
language pack in Karmic, so that translations can be tested.

In order to give time to everyone involved in organising this, I propose
a tentative date in a month's time:

* WHAT: Kubuntu Translations Day
* WHERE: #kubuntu-devel on Freenode
* WHEN: Wed 29th July 2009

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc. will be very welcome.

Cheers,
David.

[1] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-translation-coordinator

--