Konversation, Quassel and Kubuntu 9.10

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 23 09:26:34 BST 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 3:58 AM, Jonathan Jesse<jjesse at gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 for me on replacing Quassel, never really enjoyed or cared for it.
> seemed like a quick fix for something that was needed at the time, got some
> attnetion put on a project but in kubuntu-users mailing list there seems to
> be asked this question a lot.

To be completely honest, I don't think the wiki page helps with deciding.

Most of the features listed are only important from a specific POV
(e.g. I do not care about DCC at all, someone who does filesharing
using it probably does care about its support), so the only really
valid ones (IMHO) are "KDE integration", "stability" and "Kubuntu
intregration" (actually usability also has its share, but since we
can't simply assign a value or something, we need to rely on seele's
opinion :)).

So simply put: Quassel fails 2 out of 3 (excluding usability for now)
and thus should get kicked. YET, I don't see why it is less integrated
into KDE than Konversation, according to Scott the git master branch
recently got support for cascading configs (so we can even configure
it in kds for future releases), so I think the only remaining thing is
toolbar integration (unless that was fixed as well already). And
Kubuntu intregration is simply waiting on an implementation (a not
particularly difficult implementation I suppose).

I don't feel comfortable binding a decision to those very vague
shortcomings, instead I would be interested in what the average user
thinks. So what is the general opinion on kubuntu-users? Is there
something specific that users miss in either IRC client? Do we have
some other input sources like forums?

If we want to make an informed decision about this (i.e. anything
other than: "we'll use what is most stable and most applicable around
beta time"), then we have to consider a lot more than features.