[Ubuntu-translation-coordinator] Some Kubuntu translations love

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 13 20:42:51 BST 2009

2009/7/10 David Planella <david.planella at ubuntu.com>:
> == Questions ==
>
>      * Is this workflow correct, as far as KDE core goes?

I think, so Riddell knows more in depth since he implemented it.

>      * Have I missed any details?
>      * Can the KDE packages always generate a .pot template (i.e. is
>        Messages.sh always provided upstream?) or is there manual work
>        involved?

In theory it could be done manually, though I don't think anyone does
that. Every application which resides in KDE SVN probably uses the
Messages.sh system, since it is scalable and low maintenance. However,
upstream might choose to strip it from their tarball (for some
reasons, I don't quite understand). AFAIK KTorrent for example strips
the Messages.sh file(s).

>      * I caught batl10n in an IRC conversation, but it was too late for
>        me to ask. Could you give me an overview of what that is?

batl10n, like most other bat scripts, is a script that assists Kubuntu
packagers with KDE updates. It mostly just walks through all kde-l10n
tarballs, merges the packaging in and create ready-to-upload source
packages (in the process it can also apply batch changes of course).
[1]

>      * I've also read about Transcript [3] (I know, the page is not
>        very readable due to a wiki error, I've filed a bug [4] for
>        that). Is that handled in any way in the language packs (i.e.
>        the accompanying .js scripts a translator can add to
>        translations)?

Riddell should know. I'd like to mention that there is a general
problem with the translation packages though. They don't only contain
translations but also translated data (e.g. audio files, pictures
etc.), so, from a user point of view it would make most sense to have
those kde-l10n packages installed by default, in order to have the
data files available, I suppose this could also work around the
javascript problem (cause honestly, I don't think it makes a lot of
sense to import those into launchpad, not worth the effort making
rosetta treat them properly et all).

For example the german translations would install
/usr/share/locale/de/LC_SCRIPTS/kdelibs4/kdelibs4.js
which is not available in the lang-pack. The only thing we could do, I
suppose, is plain import-export to the langpack (without offering them
through the rosetta UI).

>      * Do you have any other special requirements/issues with Kubuntu
>        translations before they are imported into Launchpad?

Qt translation import, as Scott already mentioned. Though it is
non-trivial because Qt uses a very own XML-based format, which is
supported by gettext (but AFAIK always one step behind), which
prevents both us and upstream from using gettext :|

[1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-members/kubuntu-dev-tools/trunk/annotate/head:/bin/batl10n