Improve Ninja's release packaging (once more)

Richard Birnie arbyuk at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 13 20:01:07 GMT 2009

> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:51:26 +0100
> From: "Harald Sitter" <apachelogger at ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: Improve Ninja's release packaging (once more)
> To: "Kubuntu Developer Discussion" <kubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 21:03:17 +0100 Harald Sitter
> > <apachelogger at ubuntu.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> >>Opinions? Further suggestions?
> >
> > It seems complicated for the casual ninja.
> >
> > Can haz wikipage plz?
>
> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Ninjas/ReleasePackaging
>
> back feeding please.

Some instructions on setting up and maintaining multiple pbuilders for
different releases would be nice. As would similar info on how to use pbuilder-
hooks and how to edit pbuilderrc accordingly :)

Maybe it's just me (entirely likely) but this was and is a pretty big barrier
to contribution. Personally I think this is a pretty complicated thing to do.
The time I can spend on Kubuntu is fairly limited at the moment so I'd rather
spend it on something useful instead of spending an entire evening trying to
make the build environment behave properly as I did for the last two KDE
releases. I'm all in favour of automating this process as much as possible but
I'd second Scott's point that this is pretty complicated.

Another thought that crossed my mind is that we are now another step further
removed from anything that is in the packaging documentation for either
(k)ubuntu or debian. From the point of view of anybody new to packaging that
wants to get involved in KDE releases (and I'd include me in that group) it's
pretty hard to relate what the ninjas do to any other form of packaging in
ubuntu. If that isn't considered important the fair enough. I don't claim to
be any expert in the field but I thought I'd throw it out there as an idea.

Anyway, that's my two cents (or tuppence worth as they say round here)
Rich