KDE4 64-bit & 32-bit programs & KDE3.5 programs

Wulfy wulfmann at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Feb 13 13:22:53 GMT 2009

Jonas Norlander wrote:
> Grub is a statical linked program so it don't use this libraries
> $ file /usr/sbin/grub
> /usr/sbin/grub: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
> (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, statically linked, stripped

That's what I thought...  shouldn't need libraries to boot...

> Most of the files in /lib32 belongs to the libc6-i386 or libc-i386 package.
> $ dpkg -S /lib32/ld-linux.so.2
> libc6-i386: /lib32/ld-linux.so.2
>
> $ dpkg -S /lib32/ld-2.8.90.so
> libc6-i386: /lib32/ld-2.8.90.so
>
> This is the libraries that almost all dynamic linked programs depend
> on so if you install just one 32-bit package it will pull in this to.
> And libraries in /lib32 and /lib is files that is essential for
> programs used during boot.
>
> / Jonas

I've noticed ld-linux.so.2 in the System Activity window...  usually
with Acroread... hmmm...

I did some digging.  It seems that I have only 2 things that require the
32-bit libraries... acroread and flash  (both for the FF plugins).  I
suppose I could dump the acroread plugin (just view it in the 64-bit
program) but flash??? gah.

--
Blessings

Wulfmann