Q: Why does Kubuntu exist?

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Mon Dec 7 16:22:09 GMT 2009

On Sunday 06 December 2009 02:42:57 pm Harald Sitter wrote:
> Hullos!
>
> In my recent wave of thinking about Kubuntu and how to make it clearer what
> exactly we are doing, I came to wonder why Kubuntu actually exists.
>
> Now, let me explain what I mean by that. Every project (every useful one
> anyway) is there to solve some problem or improve something, simply put a
> general justification for spending time on it. Kubuntu, being a useful
>  project, must have some general justificaiton of existance, some problem,
>  desire or similar.
>
> What I'd like to find out is exactly what Kubuntu is supposed to archive,
>  and why other OS or distributions failed at it. Not so much by how we want
>  to archive it or by what means we (want to) measure the successfulness of
>  this.
>
> If everyone writes a couple of lines (some would call this brainstorming
>  ;)), it might be easier to find a general definition as to why Kubuntu is
>  existing and why it is good that it is existing.
>
> Thanks.

For me, we have to go back in history a  bit, which is why my thoughts may be
a bit different than some.

For me, Kubuntu brought Ubuntu's sense of creating a polished cohesive
desktop, among other things. to those who choose KDE over Gnome.

Look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubuntu#Releases
specifically some of the notes about some of the releases. Note the things that
were added to the distro not part of the official KDE releases of the day (and
are now part of it). Also note the unmentioned things, such as what was done
to customize the desktop, like as the menu layouts and all that wonderful
artwork.

All these additions and tweaks were what brought me to Kubuntu to begin with.
I had less to muck with to get things the way I liked it. Oh, yeah, it also
Just Works :)

Now we have a  wonderful, new KDE4 and we seem to want to have it 'plain' or
'vanilla' (ie =boring). I don't think this promotes the capabilities of KDE or
showcases anything. The netbook version, however, seems to be doing just

Hopefully this make some sense.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net