Full Circle #27 - out now!

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Mon Aug 3 15:07:31 BST 2009

Hi Ronnie,

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 08:52, Ronnie Tucker<ronnie at ronnietucker.co.uk> wrote:
> Full Circle Magazine - Issue #27
>
> Full Circle - the independent magazine for the Ubuntu Linux community
> are proud to announce the release of our twenty-seventh issue.

Thanks a lot for your great work with the Full Cirlce Magazine. It is
always a big pleasure to read :)

Today I came across the Amarok 1.4 review by Damien McGuignan on page
19/20 of  FCM #27, and I think there should be some clarifications and
corrections:

1. The article starts with: "Version Amarok 2.2 is now out". This is
not correct, the latest stable release of Amarok is 2.1.1, available
in the jaunty backports repository. But there are good chances that
Amarok 2.2 or at least a beta version of it will eventually be shipped
with Karmic.

2. He states this being a review of Amarok 1.4, which is most unlikely
from the screen shots I can see, and it would be quite old and
outdated. I think this should read "Amarok 1.4.9.1", a version
released on April 12, 2008, whereas version 1.4.0 was released on May
17, 2006. There is nowhere in this article I can see anything stating
that this will *not* be the 1.4.0 version.

3. He suggest a downgrade to version 1.4 from version 2.0.2 that was
shipped with Jaunty, but omits several important informations:

   3.a. Amarok 1.4.x is not maintained anymore by it's developers, and
the maintenance by the Kubuntu packagers of Amarok 1.4.9.1 shipped
with Hardy will end in October this year, the Kubuntu version of Hardy
being _not_ an LTS release. This will leave the users pretty much
alone with the software.

   3.b. Installing software from a PPA is installing unsupported 3rd
party software, there is absolutely no support given from the Kubuntu
Community, unless some volunteers step in.

   3.c. There is no support offered by the packager of this PPA, which
should be clearly stated in this article. It should also be clearly
stated that neither the Amarok developers nor the Kubuntu Ninjas will
accept any reports or complaints regarding this downgrade.

To make this article more complete, I strongly suggest these
clarifications to be published.

Best regards, Myriam aka Mamarok

http://www.fsfe.org