[kubuntu-devel] Thoughts on Arora

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Aug 3 03:18:04 BST 2009

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 20:03:03 -0400 Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste at kde.org> wrote:
>> Given that we are not going to 100% agree, why don't we make Kubuntu
>> the first Linux distribution to offer a browser ballot screen ?
>> Choices: Firefox, Konqueror, Arora, maybe Chrome too ?
>
>Why should we burden the user in having to make the decision about
>which browser to use when users who care to have a choice will have
>the experience and knowledge to go and get what they want to start
>with? Users who don't care or know will inevitably choose Firefox
>anyway because of familiarity with the brand so why wouldn't we just
>ship it and make it easy to get to start with? Also, KDE is putting a
>lot of effort and support into fixing Konqueror so what is the benefit
>of temporarily shipping Arora only to drop it in the near future?

Perhaps Kubuntu Netbook Edition should ship with all three seeded for easy
choosing and Firefox as default.

In the netbook edition we don't have the same ISO size constraints and we
are aiming more to have a more appliance type experience that 'just works'.
 If someone new/considering Linux knows about one FOSS application, it's
Firefox.  Until there is a KDE/Qt based browser that just works' as broadly
as Firefox, I think perhaps it does make since to ship the clear best of
breed even if it doesn't use our toolkit of choice.

Scott K