Discussing an "Official" Kubuntu PPA scheme

Jonathan echidnaman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 20:30:21 BST 2009

On Thursday 23 April 2009 3:08:24 pm Antonio Augusto (Mancha) wrote:

> Just one doubt here: why don't use the ubuntu-backports for backported
> versions of Kubuntu related software?
> Or kubuntu-members will be a staging for "stable" software that will
> late make it to the ubuntu-backports rep?

Point releases of the version of KDE released with $series of Kubuntu usually
do get SRU'd. I suppose I should have been more clear in that we currently use
kubuntu-members-kde4 for stable versions of the next minor release than the
one released with $series. (For example, we released Intrepid with KDE 4.1 and
put KDE 4.2.0, 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 in kubuntu-members-kde4.)

We do eventually put these packages in the official -backports repos. kubuntu-
members-kde4 is currently used as testing before pushing the packages into
backports to make sure that there aren't any file conflict bugs still hanging
around. (And it's much easier to fix those in a PPA since it avoids spamming
the official archive with bugfix updates for the backports)

Currently we handle KDE releases in the following manner. Here is an example
of how we did things in Intrepid:

- KDE 4.1.x updates were staged in kubuntu-ninjas, which were then uploaded to
intrepid-updates upon official release
- KDE 4.2.x (pre-)release updates were also staged in kubuntu-ninjas, and
uploaded to jaunty upon official release
- KDE 4.2.x -pre-releases were also staged, uploaded to kubuntu-ninjas, and
then released to kubuntu-experimental for intrepid
- Once KDE 4.2.0 was released, we switched over to kubuntu-members-kde4, since
KDE 4.2.0 and up were no longer experimental beta software
- Once these backports were deemed to be of high enough quality, they were
uploaded to intrepid-backports.

Hope that clears things up.