Discussing an "Official" Kubuntu PPA scheme

Jonathan echidnaman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 19:27:35 BST 2009

Hey all,

Congrats on the release, etc. I think this is really going to be a good one.
:)

More to the point, I would like to discuss/propose a scheme for the "official"
PPAs that Kubuntu uses. Currently we have four or five PPAs lying around, which
is confusing for everyone. We have:

- Kubuntu-members (unused for a while)
- Kubuntu-members-kde4
- Kubuntu-experimental
- Kubuntu-updates-testing
- Kubuntu-ninjas (private, for staging new upstream releases that are
embargoed upstream)

Currently, the unofficial scheme we have for using these PPAs is:
- Use kubuntu-members-kde4 for pushing backported versions of new stable
KDE/KDE-related software releases
- Use kubuntu-experimental to publish backported alpha/beta versions of KDE
software found in the development release of Kubuntu
- Use kubuntu-ninjas to stage all KDE/KDE-related software releases

Kubuntu-members has been seemingly abandoned, probably since everything is
KDE4 now. Kubuntu-updates-testing has been abandoned too, and has mostly been
superseded by kubuntu-ninjas. I propose that we adopt the following as the
"official" unofficial PPA scheme going forward:

Official PPAs:
- Switch back to Kubuntu-members for for pushing backported versions of new
stable KDE/KDE-related software releases
- Use kubuntu-experimental to publish backported alpha/beta versions of KDE
software found in the development release of Kubuntu
- Use kubuntu-ninjas for staging embargoed new upstream releases for the
development version of Kubuntu (also for staging backports for kubuntu-
members)

Remove the following PPAs:
- Remove kubuntu-members-kde4 altogether, since Kubuntu is now a KDE4 distro
and no distinction needs to be made
- Remove kubuntu-updates-testing, obsoleted by kubuntu-ninjas

We could give the members of #kubuntu-testing the passwords for the private
PPA, but that channel seems somewhat dead..... Maybe that needs to change too.

The proposed scheme brings us down from five PPAs to a sensible three PPAs.
Comments, suggestions welcome.