Call for localization testing

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 2 19:38:49 BST 2009

Hoy!

Today I pushed a fix for [1] to bzr and uploaded a test package to kubuntu-
experimental (for jaunty that is).
Everyone (that includes those that use english or anything else :P) please
give it a try. Since the patch fiddles with kdeglobals, we really do not want
to have a bug in there.

It takes the LANG environment variable (or extracts them from appropriate
files if not set), then runs a regexp on it to determine the country of your
language.
de_AT => at
en_CA => ca
It will then write those values to kdeglobals in order to get settings fitting
your country (currency, day format, time format, ...).

In addition to that it should handle the following cases properly:
no LANG is set, or the regexp check is returning an empty string (which would
for example be the case with LANG=C).

Should I have missed a case where the change applies invalid data, or if the
country value doesn't get set at all (you can check that through the regional
KCM in systemsettings) please report.

[1] https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase-
workspace/+bug/224461

Technical enlightenment: the code portion is part of startkde, so it is
technically possible that the changes only get applied at 2nd login. I am not
sure about that, since I didn't have time to test it through, but if this is
the case I would very much appreciate help on how to get KDE update the memory
stored settings in case kdeglobals has been updated.

Thanks a lot!