KDE 4.x and the "Leave" menu

Christian A. Reiter chris.reiter at gmx.at
Sat Sep 13 14:49:43 BST 2008

Am Samstag, 13. September 2008 09:29:20 schrieb Terence Simpson:
> > That is configurable in System Settings in the Session Management area.
> > Fixing this is on the devs' todo list
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kubuntu/Todo it just hasn't been done yet.
>
> It's not as as easy to fix as you think, if you disable it globally then
> those that use the Application Launcher Menu (rather than kickoff) can't
> logout (or shutdown/restart).
> See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase-workspace/+bug/187450

I don't believe that.
I think it's not about "easy to implement" but a decicion.
You can't tell me that is more difficult to implement than all this exciting
high siphisticated Plasma stuff.

Just a clean decicion, and planning HOW KDE should work.
ATM it feels like the Kubuntu devs have no exact plan how to do it, because,
without any doubt:
IF kickoff is default (ant that's gonna be) THEN the current behaviour is
extremely useless.

Clicking to KDE-Button -> red Logout button -> shutdown -> and then having
another dialog asking me if I want to shutdown, log off, restart or what
else, is a usability failure.
And no, waitint 30sec (or in Kubuntu even 60) is NO answer to that.

Possible solutions:
1. (hmmm)
If kickoff is standard, then make it useable easily -> get rid of the second
dialog (even when the dialog is beautiful IMO)

2. (bad)
get rid of the various options in kickoff. Just one "exit" button, leading to
the dialog

3. let the dialog just be a confirmation of the chosen action, NOT offering
all the others too.

... and some others.

But the current behaviour will just confuse people.

Cheers,
Chris