Guidance Displayconfig Support For Incomplete/No Xorg.conf

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Mar 14 04:17:14 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 11 March 2008 08:10:00 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> There are a number of popular kde-guidance bugs around displayconfig
> crashing if there is no xorg.conf.  I can take a stab at fixing this, but
> am unable to test due to lack of  appropriate hardware.
>
> Any volunteers to test if I can come up with a test package?
>
> Scott K

To the PPA once again:

https://launchpad.net/~kitterman/+archive/

The current package there tries to deal with no xorg.conf.  It doesn't do it
well, but at least with the hardware I have it appears to do it.  This needs
testing by people who's display hardware is autoconfig and they have no
xorg.conf.

Please test as follows if you are running Hardy and KDE3:

Install from the PPA.

Run displayconfig from a konsole window - most display settings will likely be
wrong.
If that goes well, then try it as kdesudo:
 kdesudo displayconfig

Try changing and applying display resolution and then exit.

Run displayconfig again and see if it has more a more realistic configuration
displayed.

Please let me know soonest how this goes.  This is meant to fix a beta
milestone bug and we are in the beta freeze now.

The real question is: which is better, this functionality or displayconfig
crashing?  Unless someone else has been coding in secret, those are the
options I think we're down to.

Scott K