[kubuntu-devel] Re: kde3 to 4 bugs transition policy?

Yuriy Kozlov yuriy.kozlov at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 21:10:09 BST 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:00:44PM -0400, Yuriy Kozlov wrote:
>> Now that we have specs for Intrepid, namely replacing KDE 3 packages
>> with KDE 4 versions, I'd like to revisit this.  Basically, I think,
>> the normal policy should be followed: Either the bug qualifies for
>> SRU[1], or if it's fixed in the development version, that means it's
>> fixed since the fix is never going to get to the stable version.  In
>> this case, if a bug is fixed in KDE 4.1, and does not qualify for a
>> SRU to Hardy/KDE 3.5, then it's considered fixed.
>
> The proposal sounds good.  Is there a general non-kubuntu tag for
> kubuntu-needs-sru? I'm not sure it helps to make that specific.

Actually, nominations should be used for this.  I wasn't sure if they
were appropriate for bugs without a fix, but after discussing with
bdmurray, it seems they are the right way to go for this.  So instead
of tagging, click "Nominate for release".   A decent summary of
Kubuntu SRU TODOs can then be gotten with
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+nominations?field.searchtext=kde

> Have you had any experience of asking reporters to test in KDE 4?  Are
> people who report bugs in KDE 3 at all willing to test for it in KDE
> 4?
I have not had any experience with this.  So far I've been treating
KDE 3 and 4 as completely separate.  In most cases triagers should be
putting in the effort to reproduce bugs themselves (*pokes self*).

~ Yuriy