KDE 4.1 "for testers only"

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Jul 31 16:39:44 BST 2008

On Thursday 31 July 2008 11:28, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> On Thursday 31 July 2008 10:39:43 Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > > Before the 29th the packages provided were beta and release candidates.
> > > Betas and RCs are for testers, not production.  Now that 4.1 is out, it
> > > is suitable for everyone to use and that is what will be in Intrepid.
> > > Where is the confusion?
> >
> > You think our packaging of KDE4.1 in the Hardy PPA is mature enough for
> > everyone?
>
> No, his question seemed to be directed at the state of KDE 4.1 in general
> and the beta software available not necessarily the quality of packaging.
> I know there is a lot of work to be done in terms of packaging.

OK.  I think when speaking in the context of a distro (i.e. on a Kubuntu list)
we really need to keep the entire system in mind when answering such
questions.  KDE 4.1 is released and mature enough for the end user, but
there's a lot of packaging work to be done so the KDE 4.1 you can install now
probably isn't is a distinction without a difference for the Kubuntu end
user.

Scott K