kde4 services in kde3 apps

Mitch Golden mgolden at mitchgolden.com
Mon Dec 22 16:08:43 GMT 2008

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, Richard Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 02:39:14PM -0500, Mitch Golden wrote:
> [...]
>> So, my question is: this isn't really an issue with the specific Konqueror
>> package, but an overall structural issue, so to whom should the patch be
>> submitted?
>
> I would say file a bug on this, and if you know how to go about creating
> a patched package, then assign the bug to yourself and fix away. When
> you are done with everything, you can then subscribe the Ubuntu Universe
> Sponsors to come along and sponsor your package.

OK, but my question is which package to file the bug and the patch
against.  To fix the Konqueror issue I could file it against Konqueror,
but there are other services (KHelpCenter for one, and I don't know what
others there might be) that need the same treatment.  Is the appropriate
thing to do to piecemeal file bugs against everything I discover?

>> Does anyone know the complete list of packages that should be accessible
>> from KDE 3.5 apps?  Or perhaps the two directories should just be
>> combined?
>
> With Jaunty, we are hoping we don't have to worry about this. Right now
> our 2 big apps that have no solid KDE 4 counterparts yet are
> Konversation and K3b. We are hoping to have KDE 4 updates of these
> packages before the release, but it is highly doubtful at this time. We
> should probably keep this in mind if you file a bug report on this
> issue.

I am surprised by this.  I always like to get the full compliment of KDE
packages when I build a box - I always apply kdegames kdeutils kde-extras
kde-devel kde-devel-extras.  Is the idea that all of these are going to be
rebuilt for KDE4?  Or are they going to be removed from Jaunty?  If not,
then it will be necessary for quite some time to make sure these apps have
access to the appropriate KDE4 services.

    - Mitch Golden