kde4 services in kde3 apps

Mitch Golden mgolden at mitchgolden.com
Sat Dec 20 03:53:12 GMT 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Jonas Norlander wrote:

> 2008/12/19 Mitch Golden <mgolden at mitchgolden.com>:

>> A simple fix is just to make a symlink from the kde4 file into the kde
>> directory.  I.e:
>>
>> cd /usr/share/applications/kde
>> sudo ln -S ../kde4/kfmclient* .
>> kbuildsycoca
>>
>> and the problem disappears.
>>
>> So, my question is: this isn't really an issue with the specific Konqueror
>> package, but an overall structural issue, so to whom should the patch be
>> submitted?
>>
>> Does anyone know the complete list of packages that should be accessible
>> from KDE 3.5 apps?  Or perhaps the two directories should just be
>> combined?
>>
>>   - Mitch Golden
>>

> Thanks for looking at this problem/bug. I can confirm that that it
> works for clicking a link in application like the About box in Amarok
> and digikam but it don't help for the khelpcenter problems or did i
> misunderstand you?

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I was just saying that I had fixed the About
problem that way.  We need to either make a full list of KDE 4
apps/services that should be accessible from KDE 3.5 apps (and
vice-versa).  There may even be some missing app/services.

Regarding khelpcenter, you can get it to start up if you make this
symlink

sudo ln -s /usr/share/kde4/services/khelpcenter.desktop /usr/share/applications/kde

but it won't actually open the help files, presumably because they aren't
where the kde4 khelpcenter expects to see them.  Maybe the kde3
khelpcenter should be included in the release, or the files should be
moved.

    - Mitch